To establish the responsibilities for ensuring that the college offers recognition of prior learning for VET units of competency to individual learners that is fair, flexible, valid, and reliable.
These procedures relate to the VET Co-ordinator, and Dean of Academic Administration.
Responsibilities of the VET Co-ordinator
- The VET Co-ordinator (or designated representative) shall do the initial assessment for each unit of competency that a student is seeking to gain recognition of prior learning.
- Grant credit for any unit of competency that has been successfully completed at any other Registered Training Organisation (irrespective of the training package) when any of the following apply:
- It has exactly the same code and title
- It is an older version that has been reviewed with only minor changes made to the code and title (at least 80% commonality is required)
- It has been recoded or renamed, but the learning outcomes remain the same
- Assess any request for credit based upon informal learning and work place experience. In order to grant credit the VET Co-ordinator must be satisfied that the applicant has provided sufficient evidence to demonstrate that the relevant skills, knowledge and understanding for the unit of competency have been achieved.
- Request additional information from the student prior to making an assessment.
- Recommend the following for the unit of competency:
- Credit for the unit.
- No credit be given
- No credit be given, but an acknowledgement that some elements of competency have been demonstrated, but not all.
- Forward a recommendation to the Dean of Academic Administration.
Responsibilities of the Dean of Academic Administration
- Review the recommendation and then make a final determination.
- Contact the student and/or VET Co-ordinator prior to making the final determination.
- Recommend a special arrangement where elements of the unit of competency that have been demonstrated are not reassessed.
- Ensure that the determination is recorded in the College’s Student Management software.
- Ensure that the student is contacted and advised of the results of the application for RPL.