To establish the responsibilities for ensuring that all VET trainers and assessors engaged by the college are suitably qualified.
These procedures apply to the VET Co-ordinator and the supervisors of trainers.
Responsibilities of the VET Co-ordinator
- Review the pool of suitably trained staff prior to the commencement of each semester. When this review suggests that the pool is insufficient for the coming semester take steps to increase the number of suitably trained trainers and assessors.
- Prior to assigning a trainer or assessor to a unit of competency, seek proof that they hold either the current qualification for the delivery and assessment of VET units as per Schedule 1 of the Standards. Sighting the original certificates of qualification or certified copies shall be the method for determining this proof.
- Prior to assigning a trainer or assessor to a unit of competency the VET Co-ordinator will need to be assured that the trainer or assessor has demonstrated that they have current industry skills directly relevant to the training and assessment being provided.
- In conjunction with the Vice Principal Academic ensure that trainers and assessors maintain currency by undertaking professional development in the fields of the knowledge and practice of vocational training, learning and assessment including competency based training and assessment.
- Review the Register of Supervised Trainers and Assessors on a regular basis (at least once per semester) to ensure that there is consistency between the monitoring plan and the recording of this monitoring.
- Ensure that a trainer or assessor who does not hold the required qualifications does not train or assess, even under the direct supervision of a staff member who has the current VET assessment qualification.