To establish responsibilities for managing student requests to see information held in their personal files.
These procedures apply to the Registrar, and the Dean of Academic Administration.
Responsibilities of the Registrar
- Respond to any written request by a current or former student to either know what is in their personal file or to view their personal file.
- Send the student a written response detailing the following:
- The nature of the information held
- The main reason for which the information is used
- How the student may access personal information that relates to them.
- When a student requests to view their personal file arrange an appointment for the student to view their file.
- The Registrar (or delegated representative) shall fully supervise student access to their personal file.
- The Registrar (or delegated representative) shall ensure that students do not remove any document from their personal file.
- The Registrar (or delegated representative) will photocopy any documents in the file that the student requests.
- When a student highlights information in their file that is incorrect or out of date the Registrar (or delegated representative) shall check the information and if necessary shall amend the file.
- The Registrar (or delegated representative) shall advise the student that if they have any dispute over their personal file they have the right to take action under the College’s Grievance Procedures (non academic).
Responsibilities of the Dean of Academic Administration
- Ensure all personal files are kept in a secure location.
- Ensure that only the following people have access to a student’s personal file.
- The student (under supervision)
- Academic staff of the College
- Quality and Student Administration staff
- Other officers authorised by the College to collect, collate, record and maintain records of personal and academic history of students
- Members of the Academic Board, under supervision, and by permission of the Registrar.