The Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards) 2015 expects:
2. Academic oversight assures the quality of teaching, learning, research and research training effectively, including by:
a. developing, monitoring and reviewing academic policies and their effectiveness
b. confirming that delegations of academic authority are implemented
c. critically scrutinising, approving and, if authority to self-accredit is held, accrediting or advising on approving and accrediting, courses of study and their associated qualifications
d. maintaining oversight of academic and research integrity, including monitoring of potential risks
e. monitoring and initiating action to improve performance against institutional benchmarks for academic quality and outcomes
f. critically evaluating the quality and effectiveness of educational innovations or proposals for innovations
g. evaluating the effectiveness of institutional monitoring, review and improvement of academic activities, and
h. monitoring and reporting to the corporate governing body on the quality of teaching, learning, research and research training
To outline the purpose, membership and terms of reference of the Academic Board.
The Academic Board of Eastern College Australia has responsibility, delegated from the Eastern College Australia Board, for the quality of the academic programs of the College, infusing it with Christian spirit, ethos and perspective.
As such it has responsibility to ensure:
• That the teaching, delivery and monitoring of all the College's awards are of a high standard.
• That the College's awards benefit from the guidance of qualified academics and practising professionals.
• Monitoring of course outcomes and ensuring that these are equivalent in standard to those of courses at the same level in similar disciplines in Australian universities.
2. Dean of Academic Administration
3. Director of Learning and Teaching
4. Director of Research
5. Dean of Faculty
6. Faculty Representative (due consideration to each college discipline will be given when selecting representation)
7. Student Representative
8. External members
9. Chief Operations Officer as a non-voting member.
Terms of Reference
The Academic Board is responsible to the Board of Eastern College Australia and will:
- develop, monitor and review academic policies and their effectiveness
- monitor the availability and use of resources in the delivery of courses.
- advise the Board of the names of students who have met all requirements of any award offered by the College.
- consider academic matters referred to it by the Board, Principal, Academic Staff or any relevant committee within the College.
- make recommendations to the Board, Principal or others on matters related to the development and conduct of any course.
- ensure that all members maintain familiarity with current Government policies, legislation and/or regulations affecting higher and vocational education.
- establish a Learning, Teaching and Research Committee and an Academic Standards Committee, as well as other committees as required.
- confirm that delegations of academic authority are implemented
- critically scrutinise, and approve courses of study and their associated qualifications for accreditation
- maintain oversight of academic and research integrity, including monitoring of potential risks
- monitor and initiate action to improve performance against institutional benchmarks for academic quality and outcomes
- critically evaluate the quality and effectiveness of educational innovations or proposals for innovations
- evaluate the effectiveness of institutional monitoring, review and improvement of academic activities, and
- monitor and report to the corporate governing body on the quality of teaching, learning, research and research training