The Australian Skills Qualification Association (ASQA) has a number of standards related to the continuing registration of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). Standard 1 mandates skilled trainers and assessors must be employed. Furthermore, it mandates that the requirements of clauses 1.13, 1.14, 1.15 & 1.16 must be kept:
In addition to the requirements specified in Clause 1.14 and Clause 1.15, the RTO’s training and assessment is delivered only by persons who have:
- have vocational competencies at least to the level being delivered and assessed;
- current industry skills directly relevant to the training and assessment being provided; and
- current knowledge and skills in vocational training and learning that informs their training and assessment
The RTO’s training and assessment is delivered only by persons who have:
- prior to 1 January 2016, the training and assessment qualification specified in Item 1 or Item 2 of Schedule 1 (below), or demonstrated equivalence of competencies; and
- from 1 January 2016, the training and assessment qualification specified in Item 1 or Item 2 of Schedule 1 (below).
Where a person conducts assessment only, the RTO ensures that the person has:
- prior to 1 January 2016, the training and assessment qualification specified in Item 1 or Item 2 or Item 3 of Schedule 1 (below), or demonstrated equivalence of competencies; and
- from 1 January 2016, Item 1 or Item 2 or Item 3 of Schedule 1 (below).
The RTO ensures that all trainers and assessors undertake professional development in the fields of the knowledge and practice of vocational training, learning and assessment including competency based training and assessment.
|Item||Relevant Standard||AQF Qualification or Unit of Competency|
|TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or its successor.|
|A diploma or higher level qualification in adult education.|
|3||1.15||TAESS00001 Assessor Skill Set or its successor.|
This policy is to ensure that the delivery of the College’s scope of registration (accredited courses and units of competency) incorporate the principles contained in standard 1.
The policy relates to all VET units of competency, training package qualifications, and accredited courses delivered by the College or any of its teaching partners.
The College shall develop and then implement procedures to ensure compliance with clauses 1.13, 1.14, 1.15 & 1.16 of Standard 1. These procedures shall be detailed in the VET Trainers and Assessors Procedures document.
The College shall allow trainers who do not have the qualification specified in schedule 1 to work in a supervisory arrangement under a staff member who does have the specified qualification. However, the use of supervised trainers is to be kept to a minimum.
The College shall only use assessors who have the qualification specified in schedule 1 (or demonstrated equivalency).