Chief Operations Officer
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that:
- All supervisors and staff have an understanding of the use of time in lieu arrangements in the College.
- All supervisors and staff are aware of the procedures for time in lieu.
- All staff are treated consistently.
This policy applies to all permanent part-time and full-time College staff. This policy does not apply to casual staff or visiting academic staff.
From time to time staff may be required to work longer hours to accommodate a pressing work issue, attend meetings or represent the College outside of their usual working hours. Time off in lieu of such hours worked will be offered to employees who are required to work hours beyond their normal contractually agreed weekly hours. This arrangement is designed to ensure that an employee is not working excessive hours and to ensure work/life balance. It is not expected that time in lieu will be a standard or regular occurrence.
- Time in lieu is distinct from choosing to start earlier or finish later than your allocated hours, and from varying your start and finishing hours in order to attend an external appointment.
- Time in lieu can be accrued and taken only with the prior approval of your supervisor or by their nominated delegate.
- Supervisors are responsible to monitor the amount of time in lieu being accrued by their staff.
- Time off in lieu will be at a rate of one hour worked to one hour time in lieu.
- Time off in lieu should be calculated in 15-minute intervals, and can be claimed where the additional time worked exceeds 30 minutes.
- Time in lieu of more than four (4) days may not be accrued.
- Time in lieu can only be accrued and taken in accordance with this policy.
- Time in lieu should be redeemed as soon as possible after it has been accrued, and all time in lieu must be taken within 12 weeks of being accrued.
- Time in lieu credits will not form part of any eligible termination payment.