The purpose of this policy is to ensure that:
- All supervisors and staff have an understanding of the use of time in lieu arrangements in the College.
- All supervisors and staff are aware of the procedures for time in lieu.
- All staff are treated consistently.
This policy applies to all permanent part-time and full-time non-Academic College staff. This policy does not apply to casual staff or visiting academic staff.
- Time in lieu is distinct from choosing to start earlier or finish later than your allocated hours, and from varying your start and finishing hours in order to attend an external appointment.
- Time in lieu can be accrued and taken only with the prior agreement with your supervisor or by their nominated delegate. Such an agreement must be in writing and state the following:
- the number of overtime hours to which it applies and when those hours were worked
- that the supervisor and employee agree that the employee may take time off instead of being paid for the overtime;
- An agreement can be made by an exchange of emails between the employee and supervisor or by other electronic means.
- Supervisors are responsible to monitor the amount of time in lieu being accrued by their staff
- The period of time off that an employee is entitled to take is the same as the number of overtime hours worked.
- Time off in lieu should be calculated in 15-minute intervals, and can be claimed where the additional time worked exceeds 30 minutes.
- Time in lieu of more than four (4) days should not be accrued.
- Time in lieu can only be accrued and taken in accordance with this policy.
- Time in lieu should be redeemed as soon as possible after it has been accrued, and all time in lieu must be taken within 6 months and at a time or times within that period of 6 months agreed by the employee and supervisor of being accrued.
- If the employee requests at any time to be paid for overtime covered by an agreement but not taken as time off, Eastern College Australia will pay the employee for the overtime in the next pay period following the request, at the overtime rate applicable to the overtime when worked.
- Time in lieu credits will not form part of any eligible termination payment.